Pomegranate Carob Bark

12.08.2014


I had one of those days lately where I had this craving for chocolate, and hey as a woman who loves chocolate I am sure many can relate to this. I usually have a go to recipe to whip up some home made chocolate using raw cacao, however because of the stimulatory nature of cacao which can have an effect much like coffee, I chose instead to try a recipe with a chocolate / cacao substitute. I chose plant derived carob. It is so easy to whip up a batch of raw carob chocolates in no time at all to satiate those cravings whilst being nutritious, healthy and good for the body. I love making my own chocolate or chocolate substitutes and apart from being healthier and packed full of nutrients it prevents blood sugar spikes that leave you craving more sugar. I find that I don't miss the old standard chocolate I used to eat as my taste buds have adjusted over time and I feel better knowing that this is good for my insides and outsides!



~E xx


INGREDIENTS

2 and a half tbsps of raw unsweetened carob powder
1 and a half tbsp of coconut nectar/sugar (or maple syrup or any healthy low in fructose / low GI sweetener)
4 tbsp of raw organic virgin coconut oil 
Fresh vanilla / vanilla essence (optional)
Half a tsp of cinnamon
4 tbsp pomegranate seeds.

METHOD

In a heat proof glass or ceramic bowl heat and melt the coconut oil (which is solid at room temperature) this can be done by using a double boiler method which involves putting the bowl with the oil into a pan of water and heating it until the oil melts.
To the melted coconut oil add all the dry ingredients, add the vanilla if opted for and leave out the pomegranate seeds
Mix until all the ingredients have been absorbed by the coconut oil.
Pour the resulting mixture into a square or rectangular mould or container (non metal)
To the poured mixture add pomegranate seeds and distribute them evenly.
Cover the container and pop it into the freezer for approximately 30 minutes
Once the mixture has set, remove from the freezer, cut the bark into squares / rectangles as required
Enjoy
Store the remaining carob bark in the freezer and consume as needed, although I am sure these won't last long as they'll probably be eaten up by anyone who tries them!


2 comments:

  1. ok your killing me here where can I get all these ingredients from I will troll the internet but spoon feed me a little that looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy thanks for your comment. You can get the ingredients from any good local health food shop or online with a little searching. The pomegranate I bought at the local market three for a pound! Sometimes even a trip to the ethnic section of a local supermarket like Tesco can turn up some good ingredients

      Delete

© Peonies & Passionfruit Maira Gall.